|
Tuesday, March 8, 2011 @ 8:18 PM
I would say that I was filled with apprenhension on our first meeting with Ms Jey, which was two Wednesdays ago. I wanted to see how Tanglin School would look like, and I also wanted to know the kinds of activities that we could initiate from visiting the school compound and discussing with Ms Jey, other than our preliminary idea of tutoring Scrabble. When we started the discussion, I learnt that Scrabble really was not a suitable subject and told myself to be open to other suggestions, despite feeling a tinge of disappointment that we could not carry out what we had desired. However, we learnt that there were several other more meaningful items that we could help out with, and eventually at the end of the meeting we decided that taking up the Video-making for Social Situations and Vocational Training would be most suitable for us. One thing that I regretted about this meeting was that we were unable to talk to the kids in Tanglin despite meeting them. After the discussion, we toured the school and found that they had several interesting facilities like mock workplaces that are already in place for vocational training, and they had a students' lounge known as the Sparkz Cabin, which hosted recreational facilities and allowed the kids a place to rest before CCA or while waiting for the school bus. During the second meeting, we presented some of our ideas to Ms Jey and we clarified several doubts that we had. Ms Jey also gave us some readings to extend our knowledge and understand more about the Tanglin Kids. The readings did indeed bring forth a greater understanding to myself and I believe that they will help when we first interact with our charges. To summarise, I think that both meetings were very helpful, mostly in terms of extending our knowledge about Tanglin School and consolidating our project framework. I'm looking forward to our next meeting as we might be able to meet the kids we will be working with then. Clarence :) |