|
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 @ 11:28 PM
I realise now that in an RES-L project, the real service is not done by us, but those that we wish to survive. When I first when down to conduct the lesson, I believed that perhaps service was not all that cut out to be. I certainly did not have a great opinion of service due to the failures I had met in my past attempts at CIP. However, as I approached the students with their quizzical smiles, I understood that students with special needs are no different from students without special needs. They are interested in the same games, and oriented in carrying out the same tasks that we are. Perhaps, they lack expertise in certain fields, but they make up for this with their upbeat attidue and optimism. The lesson was interesting to teach though I must say, it was challenging to keep their attention through out the topic. It was necessary to occasionally remind them to turn their attention to the board and to pay attention to the questions being asked. The rewards system was extremely effective as they paid attention whenever prizes were mentioned and actively participated in answering our questions. Each student has a different attitude towards learning, some better than others. But regardless of their attitude, I was inspired by the optimism they showed in accepting their wrongs and the willingness to learn that I find lacking in many people. Although we were as old as them, they were willing to learn from us, and in fact exhibited signs of excitement, signifying a positive outlook towards learning. I understood from this experience that I am indeed gifted by the grace of God to have no support needs. I look forward to teaching them soon enough. |